Christmas dangers for pets
Christmas time is fun for all the family, and your pets are at no exclusion to this rule! However as much as our furry friends get excited at this time of year, there are a few things we should be aware of to keep their Christmas as safe and as enjoyable as our own.
Of course this is a danger all year around, we do tend to find an abundance of chocolate at Christmas time, making it that little bit easier to cause danger. An easy step to avoiding this includes never placing chocolates under the tree or on small snack tables where it becomes easily accessible.
Mince pies and Christmas puddings
As lovely of a treat they may be for us at Christmas time, for our dogs all grapes, raisins, sultanas and currants are highly toxic. Ensuring all leftovers are placed and the foods stored away from dog level helps to keep your dog safe.
All forms of onion can be dangerous to a dog through red blood cell damage and stomach problems, even just as ingredients in other food products. Ensuring that Christmas dinner leftovers are kept out of reach and bins are also dog proof prevents accidents from happening.
A drink is always fun at Christmas, and sometimes when the party gets a little too fun there are a few spilled drinks. Cleaning up spillages and never leaving open drinks lying around to avoid unwanted accidents.
Pine needles can cause stomach problems, cuts and sometimes even perforation of the intestines. Ensuring the flooring is hoovered on a daily basis helps to prevent any pine needles on the floor posing danger.
Other dangers include:
- Glass baubles
- Mouldy foods
- Batteries from presents
- Wrapping paper
- Mistletoe and ivy
If you have any concerns regarding your pet please give us a call.
Keep informed of all our latest news by following us on Facebook