Flying abroad with your pet to an EU country

Over the past few years, the way in which a pet can travel to different countries has changed drastically. There are many more regulations put in place to ensure the safety of your pet. These regulations have been put in place to allow you not to worry about the safety of your pet in an unfamiliar place. Many of the regulations that are put in place state that your pet needs to have the appropriate vaccinations and documents to be legal when travelling. These can vary depending on the location you are travelling to.

The changes made for pet travelling

A change needed to be made with the old pet passport system therefore it was scrapped and replanned. your pet now needs a certain document known as an animal health certificate which must be signed by a professional Vet within 10 days of travel to ensure that the pet has the correct vaccinations to travel and that the pet has all medical precautions considered before leaving the country.

A checklist of what your pet needs

– a valid rabies vaccination
– an animal health certificate or animal passport
– tapeworm treatment
– a microchip
– relevant documents

Travelling outside the EU with your pet

An export health certificate is required if you are taking your pet outside of the EU. This certificate checks that your pet has all of the necessary treatment to travel outside of the EU. An export application also needs to be completed if you’re travelling from the UK.

Looking after your pet during the journey

When taking a pet onto an aircraft, they are placed in the hold. A special area that is heated and pressurised. The pet will be placed in a crate to ensure the safety of the pet and ensure that it is comfortable. There is no reason to worry about your pet when travelling as it is 100% safe and looked after.

Keep up with all our latest news by following us on Facebook

About the author
Leave Comment