Christmas should be one of the most exciting times of the year! However, this fun-filled festive month can bring around some dangers to our dogs, and there are some ways to keep them safe so they can also enjoy the Christmas season with us.
Hazardous food in the Christmas season.
Christmas events usually involve the intake of our favourite festive meals, although delicious for us, may not agree with our dogs. A lot of food that we have around Christmas time can be toxic to our dogs and there are a few that you should be aware of;
Chocolate: as much as we would love for our furry friends to enjoy the treat as much as we do, chocolate is quite dangerous to dogs. It can cause sickness, or much more serious effects such as seizures and in rare cases, even death. Dark chocolate is the most toxic, whilst white chocolate is much less so. It is best to store any chocolaty snacks away from your dog, avoid chocolate in presents around or on the Christmas tree, and make sure the lid is firmly placed on any sweet boxes.
Alcohol: the festive season does not just bring an excess of food, but also an increase in alcohol consumption. Alcohol affects dogs in similar ways to which it does to ourselves, however our pets can have other serious effects if any is consumed. It can result in comas, low body temperature and uncomfortable fear that can lead to shock. Alcohol spilling on carpets is one of the main ways dogs have of taking in alcohol. Large gatherings increase the chances of this. If any of the drinks are split, thorough cleaning should take place immediately to remove any chance of alcohol intake.
Sweets and candies: although all may not cause direct harm to your pet, sweets that include the sugar-free sweetener called xylitol are toxic to dogs. If you are worried your dog may have consumed a dangerous sweet it is best to seek medical attention. The sooner they are seen, the more effective treatment is.
Onions, garlic and chives may be a common part of our Christmas meal, but definitely should not be on our dogs menu. They can cause sickness and diarrhoea or in excess can lead to anaemia developing due to damage in the red blood cells,
Other festive hazards.
Wrapping paper: although toxicity levels are among the lowest in this list, a large amount of wrapping paper may block your pets stomach or intestines.
Christmas decorations: similar to wrapping paper the consumption can lead to an obstruction of the stomach. Glass decorations pose more danger and can seriously injure a dog’s insides and mouth. Medical attention may be needed if a glass bauble or decoration is swallowed.
Candles: candles have a high choking risk for our furry friends so it is best to keep them stored in areas where they cannot reach them. For young pups especially who may be unaware of objects the flame may be extra dangerous as it may draw more attention to the object.
Cigarettes and nicotine replacements: extremely toxic to dogs, so it is important that they are properly disposed of. Ensure your family members are aware of places they can do this to avoid your dog from discovering any that could be eaten in outdoor areas.
So what can my dog enjoy in the festive season?
Very much like us, dogs can enjoy aspects of our Christmas dinner with us. There are lots of foods that can be put together so your dog can enjoy their very own Christmas lunch. (Please consider your pets health and ensure they are not allergic to these foods before treating them with it)
Mashed and sweet potatoes
High fat foods
Keep informed of all our latest news and articles
Finally if you would like to keep informed of all our latest news, please join our Facebook Page.